torsdag 13 maj 2010

Light at the end of my tunnel?

There is light at the end of the tunnel!


HA! funny thing... turns out i totally forget about the texture coordinates, when i moved from 24 vertices to 8 on my cubes, and that ment that it was impossible to add textures on the mud... DOH!

My first thought ofcourse was: "all this ... just to hit another dead end!?!? ..."

In pure desperation i swapped to the old rendering function (that uses 4x the graphics) and... to my big Surprise... it runs just as fast as the previous one, in fact... I'm not sure if its my mind playing tricks or not, but i can swear the lowest fps value is higher now... rendering 4x the graphics.

So i thought "well, then it must be because i use smaller holes now" and decided to try big holes again... and once again, i find my self at a steady 60+fps.

uhm... well thats just fine by me.

I can only conclude that the number of vertices was never the problem, but i must have screwed up somewhere in the Octree, or otherwise done some slow funky math.

so... no pointy triangles, and good frame rate... i guess this will be a game after all ;-)

PS: I'm not sure the lighting is 100% correct on the picture above, but that is tomorrows problem.

[edit]
It appears i had a temporary brain-fart, 4x8 don't make 24.
oh well, that is what you get for doing all-nighters.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar